Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Obsession

I get asked a lot…”why are you so obsessed with mice?” And I suppose it’s a fair question, really. It is an odd thing “around here”….but this isn’t the first time I’ve been involved in something that is considered “weird around here”. Heard of winterguard? I didn’t think so….at least those of you that know me know about it, but probably only because you know “me”. The funny thing is that both winterguard AND mice breeding is a big deal in other areas of the country and/or world. Does this mean I was born in the wrong state? Possibly. Or maybe I’m just one of those people that are ok enough with being weird, that I can spread these new things to new areas without worrying about what people think of me. The people that really know me and enjoy being around me are probably people that like weird (or as my boyfriend says “quirky”) people. I can’t speak for them, I’m only guessing. The saying, “it takes one to know one” is probably pretty accurate when it comes to weird people…or rather “quirky” people. We seem to flock together. We don’t necessarily have the same “quirks”, but we each have quirks nonetheless, so we manage to find each other. And that is as deep as I’m getting today. Its 7:15am and those of you who know me even slightly well know that I’m not meant to be up before 11am. So bear with me here. If anything is unreadable on this post, I blame it on sleep deprivation.
So why am I “so obsessed with mice”?
Well frankly I don’t think I’m obsessed. I think it appears that way to people who find fancy mouse breeding odd. But do you look at dog and cat breeders and ask, “Hey, why are you so obsessed with dogs?” Of course not. why? Because it’s common. I don’t expect fancy mice breeding to become common anytime soon, or probably ever. And I wouldn’t want it to be, for a couple of reasons. 1. That would just be waaaay too many mice. 2. I like being odd. If it wasn’t odd anymore I think I would lose some interest. Its fun to be a part of something that isn’t being overdone by the population of America. And in that regard, I am a lone duck. And I love it.
So the truth is, I really don’t know why I enjoy mice so much. Maybe it’s because I don’t want the huge ordeal of breeding larger animals. Maybe I’m obsessed with small things. Or maybe I just really love animals, and this was the most feasible thing for me to do, in my situation. I just don’t know. But I will say this, breeding mice is not just putting a couple mice together and waiting for babies. There is a lot of genetics research involved, there are true traits and qualities that you breed for and there are even shows where people show mice. (Show mice are closer to the size of a rat, but they are still mice) Why is one person interested in one thing while another is interested in something completely different? I don’t know, and I don’t really care. The truth is I just love doing it, and it doesn’t matter what others think, because I’m an independent person capable of making my own decisions without approval from everyone I know. Man, how boring would that be???
So hopefully you’ll someday want a pet mouse. And maybe you’ll get it from me. (Mine are better anyways. *wink*) and then you’ll be glad you knew this weirdo chick that was obsessed with mice. And hey, the weirdness doesn’t stop there. What other girl do you know that likes superheroes and can have a conversation about Star Wars while carrying her Dooney and Bourke bag? . . .
I didn’t’ think so.
Enjoy the weird people in your life. They make it more fun.

No comments: